Basic, random ideas for camping out .
- First decide what type of camping experience you want to have. (Ocean, beach camping, wilderness, civilized camping – more amenities, family camping, bike camping, solo camping, or the old “how can you do that” camping in winter).
- Once you decide that, you’ll know which type of tent and what type of equipment you will need to use for your camping experience.
- There are some basics you can bring with you to make any camping experience a better, easier experience. Below is the list (take what you need camping and leave the rest).
CAMPING LIST (beginners and incomplete list)
- The “gopher” – or the gripper stick. Use this stick to leave the place as you found it. You can pick up litter with this and you can get everything off the ground with this stick.
- Water filter or fresh water, or camp near a water source . (If you are camping in the wilderness, remember that if there is a natural water source, like a lake, pond, river etc, most likely there will be wildlife in the area. Be prepared and be careful. Never do anything that is not safe for you to do while camping.
- Dry snacks, raisins, cookies, crackers, chips, and small snacks and foods that do not need cooking. There you go, you save on bringing less – no cooking, no cooking pots, no washing pots on your trip. You can bring bananas and fruits.
- Computer . JUST KIDDING. You really don’t need a computer to go camping. But it is more fun when you have one. Okay, that’s not basic. Maybe that’s “g l a m ping” . .
- Trash containers, plastic bags for clean up. Paper towels or whatever you need.
- Hiking sticks, canes – really , these help when hiking.
- Frisbee – game or paper plate holder
- Tarp – You can make a tent or you can cover a tent with this or you can put this under your tent.
- If camping in winter, you can use the best sleeping bag that you can afford. You can get a sleeping bag that is good for 0 degree weather and that’s perfect.
- Camera , Yes, you need a camera or a cellular phone camera to take pictures to document your wonderful camping trip.
- Strings, cords – for the tent etc. Stake the tent down.
- Good boots or shoes. Begin with this. Your feet need to be protected and comfortable . Once you got this covered you are good to go.
Of course, that’s not all you need for camping; that’s a beginner’s list , just the beginning of the complete camping list of supplies and equipment.
Leave a note with your camping questions. We will answer any and all camping questions.
NOTE: Important note about hiking in the woods:
If you are going into ANY wooded area, pack a survival kit which has vital survival items, an emergency blanket, matches or lighters, string or cord, gloves, hat, water container, water purification tablets or filter.
There have been too many instances of ordinary people just taking a day hike into a park or woods and they couldn’t survive after they got lost . They never intended to get lost, not many people do. And after they were lost, they had no ‘back up’ and no emergency kit to help save their lives. (TELL someone where you are going, leave a map or direct location, and when possible, carry a GPS system and or a cellular phone with gps).